The Salone degli Incanti (Enchantements’ Hall) is the Trieste Modern and Contemporary Artexhibition centre. Formerly the central Fish Market of Trieste (‘Pescheria Centrale’), this beautiful construction was built in 1913 by Giorgio Polli architect who was able to merge functionality with an aesthetically attractive style in a basilica-like structure – in fact the building was also ironically nicknamed “St. Mary of Gudgeon”.
Three broad naves ensured enough space required by the remarkable size the fish trade activity, while the concrete structures allowed the peripheral walls to be lighter and decorated with huge windows. Each part of the building has a specific role: the fish auctions took place in the pronao, while the bell tower hid the watertank that had to be lifted and used for the fish selling counters; the load- bearing structures are visible inside the building while outside are entirely coated.
On the external walls, the alternation of red bricks with white stone and maritime look decorations, gives the building a Venetian appearancee: thanks also to the ‘Palladian’ elements (the double porch, the stringcourses, the thermal windows), the Salone degli Incanti perfectly fits in the neo-classical style of the beautiful Trieste waterfront landscape.